Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Living La Vita Coco

Move over Smart Water, I have a new "go-to" health drink - Vita Coco. This coconut water is amazing. It is loaded with electrolytes, like magnesium, phosphorus, sodium and calcium. It also has 15 times more potassium than Gatorade or Powerade, which is great for your legs.

There are several other non-sporting benefits to coconut water. It helps detox your body, improves your complexion, boosts your immune system and aids with digestion. It's also fat and cholesterol free with no added sugars. All pluses in my book.

I have to admit, I was a bit leery about trying Vita Coca. The company slogan is "just like sticking a straw in a coconut." Well, when I went to Jamaica last year, I tried coconut water directly from a freshly cut coconut. I was not impressed. Actually, my friends and I thought it tasted awful. So, I was pleasantly surprised when I popped open the tetra pack and gave Vita Coco a taste. Maybe it was because it was cold and pasteurized. I also like that it comes in a variety of flavors, including acai pomegranate, peach mango and pineapple.

Don't worry Smart Water. You're still one of my favorite beverages. I just have a new drink for replenishing my body after long training runs. One that's not too sweet or salty, like sports drinks.