Monday, May 03, 2010

Stretching: Foam Roller - 1 / Kimmy - 0

I am really bad about stretching before and after runs. So as a prepare physically and mentally for this marathon, I thought I'd get a couple tools to help. First I bought "The Stick". It's basically a stick with rollers on it that you run across your body. It helps compress and massage out any knots and lactic acid in your muscles. I haven't really used it much yet, but when I do I feel a difference. I'm definitely going to be using it more as my training progresses.

Another new tool I have is the foam roller. All I have to say is WOW... using that thing is rough! It's a large foam tube that you use to stretch and massage muscles. There are different positions you can do depending on the muscle group you want to work. I bought mine because I am starting to feel pain in my iliotibial bands after long runs.



The problem is balancing on a 6" x 18" foam cylinder and using your own body weight to roll and massage your muscles is not as easy as you think, even for someone who does yoga and considers herself pretty athletic/flexible. It was awkward and painful. In the end, it was foam roller - 1 / Kimmy - 0. But I'm determined to win the next battle. It's going to take some practice, but I'm sure I'll get used to it by the time the marathon rolls around in January.