Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Miles For Moffitt = Best Race Ever

As I've mentioned before on this blog, my marathon training really doesn't begin until July. So until then, I've been running a couple days a week and entering short races like 5Ks and 10Ks. It's keeping me in shape, but it's also allowed me to speed up my pace a bit. My first short race was Sunday. The Miles For Moffitt 5 Mile Run. This was my best race to date. I finished with a time of 46:25. Since I've never run a 5 mile race before, it was a personal record (PR), but this race was also a personal best for me. My average pace per mile was 9:18. Of course, I know from my trusty Garmin Forerunner that my best mile was by far my last. I ran mile 5 in 8:28 (which included a 14mph sprint to the finish line). I also know I finished 26th among the 90 women in my age group and 341 out of the 944 men and women who ran the race.

I know this post sounds like I'm bragging and I am. This is a really big accomplishment for me, a person who usually just runs slow and steady to the finish line. I'm pushing myself a bit and it's paying off. It also gives me hope for next month's Oldsmar Tap House 5K. The first 50 men and 50 women to cross the finish line get a free Das Boot that can be filled with free beer the rest of the night. That's my goal. I'm running for a Das Boot, baby! And even if I don't get the Das Boot, I still get the free beer, so it's win-win. :)