Friday, September 03, 2010

Marathon Training: Week 8

It is hard to believe that two months of training have already flown by. So far, so good. Although, I will say this week has been a bit tougher than the rest. I started with a 12 mile run, which surprisingly went pretty well. But my runs since then have been a little tough. The reason: IT band irritation. My lack of stretching and yoga the past couple weeks has finally caught up to me and my knees are paying the price. Thankfully, week 9 is a recovery week. Shorter running lengths and some intense stretching should help correct this issue.

I have a secret weapon to help with all the stretching. Well, it really isn't a secret. I have mentioned it on my blog before. The foam roller (a.k.a torture device) is a miracle worker. Think of it as a rolling pin for your muscles. A deep tissue massage using your own body weight and a foam cylinder.

 

The foam roller stretches muscles and tendons, breaks down any knots and increases blood flow and circulation. Sure, the pain you feel while doing it makes you want to tear up, but it is well worth it in the end. I spent a couple nights this week with my foam roller and I can feel the difference. I am not 100% just yet, but I am getting there. I am ready to tackle recovery week (8,5,6,5) and then begin adding on the miles again.