Saturday, October 02, 2010

Marathon Training: Week 13

Who said 13 is an unlucky number? Week 13 was actually a good week. I feel like I have finally turned the corner. All four training runs, including a 12 miler, went great. I think mentally, and more importantly, physically I am back on track with my training.

I made a couple tweaks to my training schedule this week. I figure since I'm doing so well, I might at well adjust my schedule to fit my progress. It basically just shifts everything up two or three weeks. The good thing about that is that it leaves me flexibility to add an additional 20+ mile run in December. I have talked to a lot of people about this. Most people only run one 20 mile run before race day. It works for thousands of people. But then there are a few people I know, who like me, who feel they need an extra run that is 22-24 miles. It's a mental thing. Think about it, you hit 20 miles and still have 6.2 left. Sure, it doesn't sound like much after 20, but that is an additional hour of running. And if mentally you are already hitting a wall around miles 18-20, another hour can seem like an eternity.

Either way, I like my new outlook on this whole marathon thing. I am taking better care of my body; more time stretching, doing yoga, icing, etc. I am also not trying to run my race pace all the time and take brief walking breaks during my long runs. All around it is just making it a more enjoyable and healthy journey to 26.2.