Monday, June 14, 2010

Fun in the Sun with some Beer and a Run

I ran my first 5K race in about a year on Friday. My thoughts: It was hot as hell! The Oldsmar Taphouse 5K is a great event, but running at 7pm in June with 97 degree heat is kind of insane.


I was really looking forward to this race. A few of my friends ran it too. It was actually the first 5K experience for two of them, so props to them. For the rest of us, it was all about the Das Boot. The first 50 male and female runners to finish received a Das Boot to drink out of the rest of the night. Two of my female friends ran fast enough for a Das Boot. Sadly, I did not. I did however record my best 5K time. That's right, I set a PR during a race where the heat index was well above 100. CRAZY! My first mile was by far my best, eight minutes flat. After that, the sun, heat and dehydration took it's toll. My next two miles were in the nine minute range. My final time was just under 28 minutes. So while I didn't get the Das Boot, I was extremely happy with my finish. Oh, and I still got free beer all night. I just had to drink it from a plastic cup.


Just one more short race (Kiwanis Midnight Run 10K) until my marathon training begins. I have to say I'm starting to get a bit nervous. Can I run the entire 26.2 miles? Will my half marathon time in November be better than my time in February? And will that new time qualify me for a faster starting corral for the Disney Marathon? Only time will tell!