Monday, June 07, 2010

Hooray For Hydration

Running during the summer in Florida isn't the smartest thing you can do, but I'm not really a treadmill runner. I need to stay in shape since marathon training begins in one month. So, I have to suck it up, get out there with the heat and humidity and run, Kimmy, run!

One great purchase I made during my half marathon training was a hydration belt. At first I thought it was goofy and unnecessary, but after several long distance runs, I realized the belt is extremely helpful and needed. Most people go with the Fuel Belt or Nathan brand hydration belt, but I chose something a bit different. I went with the Amphipod RunLite 4.

 

The great thing about the Amphipod belt is its versatility. First, all the bottles and the velcro pouch are removable. So you can customize the belt as you'd like. For example, I only have two bottles on my belt right now because I'm not running long double digit distances. That will change in a few months. Also, the bottles can be attached up and down (as seen in the photo) or sideways along the belt. I prefer sideways so I don't get my shirt caught on the bottles or have them hit/dig into my back. Of course, I'm sure I'll have to put them all upright when I add the other two bottles.

Sure you feel like a dork when you first put it on. I know I did. It also takes a few runs to get use to wearing it. But I would rather look like a fool and be hydrated, then pass out on the side of the road... especially in this ridiculous summer heat!