Friday, July 16, 2010

Marathon Training: Week 1

The first week of marathon training is almost complete. For the most part it has been a success. The goal was getting use to running in the morning before work and increase the number of weekly runs to three. I have achieved both. I actually finished my three training runs ahead of schedule thanks to an impromptu weekend getaway. I am heading over to Walt Disney World, so I packed the running shoes just in case I want to test the roads at the scene of the 26.2 mile crime (ha ha).

Overall, running in the morning has been a nice change. It is much cooler, but extremely humid. I think I have sweat more running in the morning than I did running in the early evening heat. Also, I don't know if my body just knows I need to slow up my pace to prepare for the longer runs ahead or if my legs are too tired to function at 6 a.m., but I have slowed up tremendously. I am sure it feels like I am going much slower than I actually am. It is going to take some getting used to.

Another change this week: music. I added a few new songs to my training mix, but could use many more. So if you have any suggestions for fast paced, peppy music, please let me know.