Saturday, July 24, 2010

Marathon Training: Week 2

Week two of marathon training is finish. I suffered a minor setback: plantar fasciitis.That is just a fancy term for when the thick band of tissue that runs across the bottom of your foot becomes inflamed. It is common among runners, but can also be caused by wearing shoes with no arch support for a prolonged period of time. So wearing flip flops the entire Disney weekend and standing in flip flops for 7 hours at the Tori Spelling book signing was not a good idea. Basically I had to rest for a few days and massage the arch of my foot with a tennis ball to loosen things up.

I am still trying to get used to running in the morning. Waking up isn't the issue. I am finding that my legs are heavier and I am moving slower. Maybe it is just the heat and humidity. I have bought a new supplement to try. It is an electrolyte replacement pill called Endurolytes by Hammer Nutrition. Think Powerade in pill form that is taken before you work out. The idea is to help keep your hydration and electrolyte levels high while working out to prevent cramping and fatigue. I haven't really used the pills much yet. So I will write a blog post once I have better idea of the effect it has on my training runs.

Well, it is on to week three. In addition to adding more miles, a fourth day of running will be thrown in the mix. I say bring it!